According to a recent survey, the average American touches their cell phone 47 times per day. Other studies indicate that most cell phones are ten times dirtier than a toilet seat. When you consider these two statistics together and how little we’re washing our hands after using our phones, the sheer number of germs we’re exposing ourselves to daily is shocking. You can minimize your exposure to germs and bacteria by learning how to effectively sanitize your phone.
How to Safely Clean Your Phone
Regularly disinfecting your cell phone has never been more critical than it is right now, but certain household cleaners like bleach can do serious damage to your mobile phone.
1. Disinfecting Wipes
Recently, Apple released a statement that bleach-free Clorox disinfectant wipes are safe to use on Apple products, including iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iPods. When using Clorox wipes on your phone, gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your device– including the display, keyboard, casing, and buttons– being careful not to get any moisture into the device’s openings. Allow the moisture to dry rather than wiping the device. If you have a phone case, be sure to wipe it down as well. Do not use Clorox on leather or fabric cases.
2. Rubbing Alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol can be a great alternative to sanitize your phone. Device Pitstop Phone Repair uses rubbing alcohol with at least 70% isopropyl alcohol to disinfect phones, tablets and computers. All you need to do is spray the solution onto a microfiber cloth or lint-free cloth. Wipe down your phone with the cleaning solution while the device is unplugged and powered off. Do not use paper towels to apply the solution as they are far too abrasive.
3. Ultraviolet Phone Sanitizer
One exciting technology that has become popular in recent months is UV phone sanitizers. The UV Phone Sanitizer uses UV light to give your phone a 360-degree clean in just 5 minutes. According to ZAGG’s website, the Sanitizer’s four UV-C bulbs work to disinfect your phone, killing up to 99.9% of E. coli and staph surface bacteria on your phone. UV-C, an ultraviolet light wavelength, damages the DNA of bacterial cells and ultimately kills the cells. The great thing about this technology is that it can be used for more than just your phone! Use it on virtually any nonporous, high-touch items, including your TV remote, car keys, credit cards, and more.